Friday 15 May 2009

Saturday 16th May 2009

Vicki I have just read your comment on my last post and it's like woah genius! I wish I had read it sooner!! Yesterday (Friday) I had to fast from midnight and get blood tests done at 8.30am. I went along and got them done and then the nurse said they would let me know the results in a little while. Well I almost felt like crying. I didn't want to be just dismissed again like I was two days before. I told her I was worried about my blood pressure as it was high the other day and I still felt very ill so she agreed to take it again. It was 150/95 which she agreed was high but nearly dismissed because of me needle fobia (I was very well behaved by the way) until I said I can't just go home with no advice or help again. She said if I wasn't careful I would be in to the gp again which I replied would be fine!! I made another appointment for 30 minutes time and came home to have some breakfast.

I had brown granary bread and scrambled eggs with a cup of tea then worried if I had ate the right thing but went back for my gp's appointment. I went in and the gp asked me all the usual questions, took my blood pressure - much of the same. Almost the exact same appointment as two days previously urine sample etc with a slight difference - this gp actually listened to me! After she tested my urine sample she rushed me back into the nurse to test my blood sugar because she found those thingies beginning with L. It was 14.8. This was apparently important because she then called the hospital and booked me in!!! Only after she had talked to them did she explain anything to me but I had overheard her conversation anyway.

I went home, letter for the hospital in hand and called my mum who said she'd be with me in a few minutes to take me to the hospital, she is such a star. I packed an overnight bag (essential stuff like ipod, nintendo ds, phone charger, jammies etc lol) then mum arrived and off we went. Mum parked the car while I went in. An arm bracelet i.d thing and papaerwork was all waiting for me as soon as I got there which sort of freaked me out. I was taken down to a waiting room and then mum joined me. It was all a bit fast like I was just an observer of someone else's life.

I had a really lovely gp come and talk to me. She took my blood sugar again which had now risen to 16.5 and took my blood pressure. I don't remember what it was but it was high obviously. She took blood for blood tests and put in one of those tubes for drips just in case. I sat with mum for a little while in the waiting room and then a diabetic consultant came by to chat to me. I was told I was diabetic, 99.9% sure it's type 2. He said that even though I had some of those thingies beginning with L in my urine that it wasn't a problem as I had 1% of something else. It was all too much information for me to take in especially as I still had that horrible migrain. He explained diet and exercise accompanied by some leaflets and said I could go home. I have to see my gp on Monday. Ok there was a lot more than that but you know more than me, lol.

Mum and I went in town briefly afterwards so that I could get Liz and Keiths anniversary pressies and card then I have been home resting ever since. I took my first Metformin tablet this evening after getting my prescription around the corner of my house. I wasn't sure what to have for dinner I have been scared to eat anything for weeks but I figured I can't feel much worse. I had rice, peas, butterbeans, macarel fillets and salad. It was actually very tasty. After a nap I felt well for the first time in 3 weeks. It didn't last though. As soon as I had got up and walked around a bit my headache returned. I've had a cup of tea, read Holly Daze commented and wrote this blog, enough to feel sleepy again. I have to get the 8.18am train to Falmouth so more rest is a good idea.

I'll have lots to write about the anniversary party tomorrow with pics of the train journey etc. It didn't occur to me today to take pics. I'm hoping I will be ok, last time I went to Falmouth to see Liz and Keith as soon as I got there I freaked out and called Vicki. It is where Arif and I used to live and I never go there the place makes me sad. I think as it's years later I will feel better this time. I'm really looking forward to seeing them so trying to focus on that. Maybe I shouldn't be going but I can rest on the train I will have a bed there I can go off to if I feel bad and I will feel worse at home missing it. I have had my train tickets for weeks.

I'm off to sleep, love and hugs as ever xxxx

2 comments:

Vicki Davis said...

Rice and Pasta and Bread aren't very good for you and you have to eat in limited amounts. Brown Rice, and Wheat pasta and Bread are better.

You need protein, beans, meat, cheese, eggs, fish are all very good for you. You MUST eat.. when you don;t eat your body makes even more glucose and it gets worse. So you NEED to eat every 2-3 hours. Even if its 1 egg, then 1 piece of chicken the Tuna Sandwich (a little bread is ok)a piece of cheese and 1/2 banana. Use Splenda in your tea. No Sugar. Check labels for Sugar you should not have more the 5 in a single item. your carbs should be between 15-20 for breakfast and snacks, and can be up to 30 for full meals like dinner. You can go to the internet to check how many carbs are in various items. Sadly the diet is similar to Atkins, but NOT that extreme. Once you get it under control you have to start to be careful with your cholesterol, so not too much on the meat and eggs and cheese, but more of the veggies. When you have a salad you have to use only like a teaspoon of dressing, and use the sugar free if you can find it. the Metformin takes about 2 weeks to really make a huge difference.

Have fun and I hope all goes well, I remember last time you went, you will be with your mum this time? I will be thinking of you.

I am glad they took you seriously.

Also, I am not worried about your blood pressure, I know it is scary, but every time they have checked it you were very anxious and scared. DO you guys have the free blood pressure checkers at the pharmacy, so you can check on your own, that might make for better results.

Also Ona... Alcohol is really high in sugar, all of it... I think you need to cut the drinking down like 99% I know you haven;t been this week, but it stays in your system, and there is a ton of sugar in it all because of how its processed, lots of carbs too. You could have a small glass of wine =) that's good for your heart!

CarolineThomas said...

I have a diabetes book now full of recipes and how to manage my diet. I have to follow a low G.I diet basically and there are lots of websites. I haven't found it difficult at all just remembering to eat every 2-3 hours is a pain in the grass and I often forget then feel 'wierd' for some time afterwards. Thankyou for the advice. I really don't drink very much at all, honest!