Monday 27 February 2012

I find myself with a rare little bit of spare time and thought it was about time I blogged.
I've spent the morning researching the plant Hoodia Gordonii. A fascinating cactus-like plant used by the indigenous peoples of Nimibia on long hunts for centuries. It is currently used in slimming aids as an appetite suppresent after scientists identified the active principle as a pregnane glycoside (P57). Research into how it can be used for Diabetes is underway which I find very exciting (for obvious reasons).
I have to produce a three-way folding leaflet on 2 sides of A4 on this plant, advertising the local Biodomes of The Eden Project. I'm really enjoying this coursework for once. It's the first time in 3 years of university that I am on the course I want to be on and my favourite module, plants. It's also arty and creative, I got to do some line drawings of the plant and the plant is of personal interest. Life is good. After so much time spent on topics that I hate: chemistry, statistics, biomed - blerg! It is lovely to have work to do that I enjoy. For once I am ahead of a deadline too.
I had a 9am lecture that I didn't go to because I was engrosed in my research but I think Tom can forgive me. I am due to meet John at 1pm to work on my leaflet but I think he will be pleased at the amount I have already done so looking forward to that.
I guess that's all I wanted to share. I will write more when I get chance. x

No comments: