Saturday 2 January 2010



Well as you know I am in Abu Dhabi right now. Nan and I flew from Heathrow on Wednesday afternoon and arrived 2 minutes past midnight Abu Dhabi time. As soon as we were in the airport a waft of heat and perfume came at us. Auntie Jeanne, Uncle Abdul and my cousin Adel came to pick us up in the black BMW 7 series. It has really cool doors that close by themselves and all sorts of funky gadgets and gismos that I won't go into but it's an impressive looking car. It was nice to see all the traditional dress and to hear people speaking Arabic, obviously. After a pretty short drive we were at the house. I say house but it's so huge! Around the back they have a pool, gym, hot tub, sauna, shower room and summer house. As it was pretty late when we arrived it wasn't too long before everyone was off to bed but as I was sooooo very excited I couldn't sleep one bit so decided to explore the house a bit to try and tire myself out. I knew the girls would be getting up for school at 6am and I wanted to see them off so ended up not going to bed at all. This is Arwas room that I am staying in, it's so comfortable. Finally at 6am Yas and Arwa got up and the house wasn't so quiet. I chatted with them and stood outside with them while they waited for their bus. It was cute to see their uniforms and their dress and fun to wave them off. Amber and Jack their dogs were there to greet us. While they went to school, Juanita, Aunite Jeanne, Nan, Nabeela and I went to the Marina Mall to pick up presents as it was Abduls birthday. They picked out some really posh suitcases and some Timberland clothes for him then we went back to the house. We all sat around the living room chatting and Abdul opened some gifts. He got a smaller Cartier bag from Khalid and his wife Miriam. They have a little daughter, my second cousin Dhabiya. I can't put pictures of the female members of the family online so you'll have to use your imagination. Adel came home with tons of sweets and treats for everyone to celebrate Abduls birthday. Adel bought him some Lacoste tshirts. When the girls Arwa and Yas came home from school they gave him some aftershaves. I didn't see them all but I did see some Farenheit. We all sat around chatting and had a pretty fun evening. The next day was the Friday which is the countrys holiday like Sunday. They have Friday and Saturday off so the whole family was at home. In the morning there was a huge breakfast laid out: Sausages, porridge, eggs, mushrooms, cereals, yoghurts, jams, and some stuff called Foul (said like Fool) which is some kind of bean like kidney beans but not the same taste which is cooked up into a paste with tomatoes and I don't know what else. I had Foul, eggs, sausages and mushrooms. After breakfast we all got in various cars (they have a lot of cars and there are a lot of us) and went on a trip to the biggest mall in the world in Dubai. Abdul drove his Ferrari and just looked so very cool! Driving to Dubai was a lot of fun, seeing all the buildings and architecture etc was really spectacular. It's a very pretty place.The mall when we arrived was as you would expect, huge!





I have just found out I am allowed to put pictures of the family on when they are in their outdoor dress so I have a few pics I can share with you. This is my Auntie Jeanne with my nan and my cousin Nabeela. The little baby is Dhabiya, my cousin Khalid and his wife Miriams baby. The rest of the afternoon we walked around the mall, went for coffee etc. When we got home we all had dinner at the table then got an early night.
I will write about Saturday and Sunday later because we are now off to a different mall. I only get chance to write here in the mornings briefly and I have been writing this blog since Saturday lol. I promise to keep trying to keep it up to date but I'm busy having fun!





Love and hugs from Abu Dhabi! xxxxx

2 comments:

Vicki Davis said...

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and the details of your trip. What an amazing house and that car is so cool, I hope you get a picture by it and maybe even a ride! its neat to have all of the big buildings. Do you have to also wear the traditional clothing while you are there? The mall looks exahusting, but the pool seems lovely and I hope you have some time to relax and lounge as well.

Can;t wait to hear more.

CarolineThomas said...

I don't have to wear the traditional clothing while I'm here, no. The malls are so incredibly huge that I am exhausted by the end of the day, lol. There are so many malls to choose from too! I've spent a fortune on gifts for everyone but had a great time doing it! x