Wednesday 1 October 2008

Tuesday 30th September 2008

This morning I came into Uni really early, after venting to mum all night I decided to sort out the things which were upsetting me. The first thing was the computer areas being so crowded and being unable to get to my emails. I was brave and went to the library early. Because I was the first one in there I was able to happily take a seat and I checked my emails and got the course information and lecture notes I had been missing.
I also set up this blog after reading through all the Holly Daze posts I had missed. Good to be up to date! She is soooooooooooooo cute. If you get chance take a look through the blogs I'm watching and check her out. My best friend Vicki's blog on her daughter.
After the computer session I went for a cuppa at the church before going to my Chemistry lecture in the Sherwell Centre. This was a really good lecture, I mean we actually did some Chemistry and Dave was animated and fun to listen to. I came to the conclusion that he must find it as dull as I did lecturing us on the handbook and timetable. Since Chemistry is his subject he speaks with much more interest on it.
The main things we covered were atoms, structure, matter, scientific experiment, serendipity, natural law, solids, liquids, gasses, elements, molecules etc all just a basic overview of topics we will cover in greater detail later on. I sat next to a guy called Nick and struck up a conversation finally! It was really nice to have someone to banter with. He was already friends with a couple of other people who he introduced me to which was really nice.
After Chemistry finished at 12 noon there was nothing scheduled until 5pm, another Chemistry lecture, this time with Roy Lowry. I spent the afternoon in the church. First of all I attended a Learn Greek class there which was really taxing on the brain. I didn't enjoy it much although it was somewhat interesting it was just so over my head. I got handouts with the alphabet and a few pronunciation exercises to practice for next week if I decide to continue.
After the Greek there was a debate group on 'What the papers say' also in the church which I joined in with. This was extrememely good fun. Hosted by Roger Williams who is a Vicar in a nearby church and is a Chaplain in our campus church, we chatted about the recession and members of the church gone bad, Gordon Brown, Football and other articles we found in the papers. Once we had exhausted anything interesting we moved onto what brought us to where we are in life.
There was a girl who used to be a nun but left the order because of bullying which I found really shocking, she is back home in Plymouth to look after her sick grandma and is studying Adult Nursing, there was a guy called Chris which I didn't catch what he was studying but I think he is a member of the Christian Union, he was telling us about his background being brought up around the church and about the church he attends. Then there was a girl who struggles with her relationship with God she said, mainly because she has a bad relationship with her father from what I could gather, therefore a bad self-image due to being put down a lot.
Then there was Maureen the volunteer Chaplain, she told us all about how she had become a Chaplain. Then there was Sophie who works with Roger in his church. I think she is some kind of youth worker but wasn't sure. She said something about being a new Christian just in the last few years and about how Roger asked her to help with the youngsters after she did the course herself last year. Then there was Roger himself, his story wasvery interesting, about how he went to Cambridge and studyied Maths and Philosophy before becoming involved in the Church. This sparked a very interesting discussion on Philosophy and how it is a strange combination with Maths. We chatted all afternoon until it nearly time for my evening lecture.
The Chemistry lecture was fabulous. Roy Lowry was hilarious, animated, interesting and inspiring. Much of the same topics from the morning were discussed with a little more emphasis on Chemical Formulae. We started looking at Chemical Equations and had a few questions set for homework. Roy had the whole class laughing out loud most of the lecture. This is the kind of lecture I really enjoy and learn a lot from.
After the lecture something even better happened, the friends I had said hello to earlier in the day that knew Nick walked out of the lecture theatre with me and invited me to go to the Student Union Bar with them for a drink! I accepted straight away and we all got on very well. Marc bought me and Vicki loads of drinks and we generally had a great time. Katie had been bored and texting me for ages and Marc suggested we all go over her place, so we did!
The 3 of us hopped on a bus, went to buy loads more alcohol and piled into Katies for the night. We watched lot's of Monty Python, drunk lot's of Fosters and had a great time. Katie fed us, Sam entertained us and a good time was had by all. Saleh came home from work about 2am to find us all still chatting and opened a bottle of wine and joined us. We all chatted and had a laugh until about 4.30am when Katie and Saleh made Marc, Vicki and I a huge bed on the living room floor. Marc and Vicki had been flirting with eachother all eveing and after much prompting had a little smooch. This was my cue to fall asleep, I was exhausted.

1 comment:

Vicki Davis said...

Well That didn;t take long, it is great that you made new friends already!